Papers published in refereed journals:
- Lee HN, Li Z, Christensen B, Peng Y, Li X, Hernell O, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2022). “Metabolic phenotype and microbiome of infants fed formula containing Lactobacillus paracasei strain F-19”. Front Pediatr . in press. PMID:
- de Weerth C, Aatsinki A, Azad M, Bartol F, Bode L, Collado MC, Dettmer AM, Field CJ, Guifoyle M, Hinde K, Korosi A, Lustermans H, Mohd Shukri NH, Moore SE, Pundir S, Rodriguez JM, Slupsky CM, Turner S, van Goudoever JB, Ziomkiewicz A, Beijers R. (2022). “Human milk: From complex tailored nutrition to bioactive impact on child cognition and behavior”. Crit Rev Food Sci . in press. PMID: 35352583
- Padhi EMT, Araujo KJ, Mitrovic E, Polek ML, Godfrey KE, Slupsky CM (2022) “The impact of Diaphorina citri vectored Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus on citrus metabolism.” Phytopathol . 112(1):197-204. PMID: 34698540
- Shani G, Hoeflinger J, Heiss B, Masarweh C, Larke J, Jensen N, Wickramasinghe S, Davis J, Goonatilleke E, El-Hawiet A, Nguyen L, Klassen J, Slupsky C, Lebrilla C, Mills, D*. (2022) “Fucosylated human milk oligosaccharide foraging within the species Bifidobacterium pseudocatenulatum is driven by glycosyl hydrolase content and specificity.” Appl Environ Microbiol. 88(2):e0170721 PMID: 34757822
- Sylvestre DA, Otoki Y, Metherel AH, Bazinet RP, Slupsky CM, Taha AY (2022) “Effects of hypercapnia / ischemia and dissection on the rat brain metabolome” Neurochem Int . 156:105294. PMID: 35104537.
- McMillen S, Thomas S, Liang E, Nonnecke EB, Slupsky C, Lonnerdal, B. (2022) “Gut microbiome alterations following postnatal iron supplementation depend on iron form and persist into adulthood” Nutrients . 14(3):412. PMID: 35276770.
- Taren D*, Akseer N, Davis CD, Miller JW, Moustaid-Moussa N, Novotny R, Slupsky CM, Saroja Voruganti V, Cameron JM. (2021) “Eighty years of nutritional sciences, and counting” Nutr Rev . 80(1): 1-5. PMID: 34891168.
- Laufer BI, Hasegawa Y, Zhang Z, Hogrefe CE, Del Rosso LA, Haapanan L, Hwang H, Bauman MD, Van de Water JA, Taha AY, Slupsky CM, Golub MS, Capitanio JP, VandeVoort CA, Walker CK, LsSalle JM (2021) “Multi-omic brain and behavioral correlates of cell-free fetal DNA methylation in macaque maternal obesity models” bioRxiv . 08.27.257952.
- Kortesniemi M, Slupsky CM, Aatsinki AK, Sinkkonen J, Karlsson L, Linderborg KM, Yang B, Karlsson H, Uusitupa HM (2021). “Human milk metabolome is associated with symptoms of maternal phychological distress and milk cortisol”. Food Chem . 356:129628. PMID: 33836356
- Wang A, Koleva P, du Toit E, Geddes DT, Munblit D, Prescott SL, Eggesbo M, Johnson C, Wegienka G, Shimojo N, Campbell D, Kozyrskyj A*, Slupsky CM (2021). “The milk metabolome of non-secretor and Lewis negative mothers”. Front Nutr . 7:576966. PMID: 33634158
- Lee H, Slupsky CM, Heckmann AB, Christensen B, Peng Y, Li X, Hernell O, Lonnerdal B, Li Z (2021). “Milk fat globule membrane as a modulator of infant metabolism and gut microbiota: a formula supplement narrowing the metabolic differences between breast-fed and formula-fed infants”. Mol Nutr Food Res . 65(3):2000603. PMID: 33285021
- Moon JM, Finnegan P, Stecker RA, Lee H, Ratliff KM, Jäger R, Purpura M, Slupsky CM, Marco ML, Wissent CJ, Theodosakis J, Kerksick CM. (2021) “Impact of glucosamine supplementation on gut health” Nutrients . 13: 2180. PMID: 34202877.
- Parenti M, McClorry S, Maga E, Slupsky CM (2021) “Metabolomic changes in severe acute malnutrition suggest hepatic oxidative stress: a secondary analysis” Nutr Res. 91:44-56. PMID: 34134040.
- Price CA, Medici V, Nunez MV, Lee V, Sigala DM, Benyam Y, Keim NL, Mason AE, Chen SY, Parenti M, Slupsky C, Epel ES, Havel PJ, Stanhope KL (2021) “A pilot study comparing the effects of consuming 100% orange juice or sucrose-sweetened beverage on risk factors for cardiometabolic disease in women” Nutrients . 13(3):760. PMID: 33652807.
- Zhang Z, Emami S, Hennebelle M, Morgan RK, Lerno L, Slupsky CM, Lein PJ, Taha AY (2021) “Linoleic acid-derived 13-hydroxyoctadecadieonic acid is absorbed and rapidly incorporated into rat tissues” BBA Mol Cell Biol Lipids . 1866(3):158870. PMID: 33340768.
- French CD, Arsenault JE, Arnold CD, Haile D, Luo H, Dodd KW, Vosti SA, Slupsky CM, Engle-Stone R (2021) “Within-person variation in nutrient intakes across populations and settings: Implications for the use of external estimates in modeling usual nutrient intake distributions” Adv Nutr . 12(2):429-451. PMID: 33063105.
- McNeil CJ, Araujo K, Godfrey K, Slupsky CM (2021) “Effects of two citrus tristeza virus isolates on sweet orange (Citrus sinesis) propagated on citrus tristeza virus-tolerant rootstock: A metabolomics and transcriptomics approach.” ACS Agric Sci Tech . 1(4): 407-416.
- Chin EL, Ramsey JS, Saha S, Mishchuk DO, Chavez JD, Howe K, Zhong X, Flores-Gonzalez M, Mitrovic E, Polek M, Godfrey K, Mueller LA, Bruce JE, Heck M, Slupsky CM (2021) “Multi-omics comparison reveals landscape of Citrus limon and Citrus sinesis (L.) Osbeck response to Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus.” Phytofrontiers . 1(2):76-84.
- Heiss BE, Ehrlich AM, Maldonado-Gomez MX, Taft DH, Larke JA, Goodson ML, Slupsky CM, Tancredi DJ, Raybould HE, Mills DA*. (2021) “Bifidobacterium catabolism of human milk oligosaccharides overrides endogenous competitive exclusion driving colonization and protection.” Gut Microbes . 13(1):1986666 PMID: 34705611
- Sotelo-Orozco J, Abbeduto L, Hertz-Picciotto I*, Slupsky CM (2020) “Association between plasma metabolites and psychometric scores among children with developmental disabilities: investigating sex-differences” Front Psychiatry . 11:579538. PMID: 33414730.
- Hasegawa Y, Chen SY, Sheng L, Jena PK, Kalanetra KM, Mills DA, Wan YJY, Slupsky CM (2020) “Long-term effects of western diet consumption in male and female mice” Sci Rep . 10(1):14686. PMID: 32895402.
- Tanguay LMH, Slupsky CM, Tsujimura T, Lix B, Sykes BD, Lakey JRT (2020) “1H MAS NMR of donor pancreatic tissue is a useful predictor of islet viability prior to islet isolation” bioRxiv. 2020.05.04.059998.
- Pereira GE, Padhi EMT, Sudarshana MY, Fialho FB, Plaza CM, Girardello RC, Tseng D, Bruce RC, Erdmann JN, Slupsky CM, Oberholster A (2020) “Impact of grapevine red blotch disease on primary and secondary metabolites in ‘Cabernet Sauvignon’ grape tissues.” Food Chem . 342:128312 PMID: 33268164
- Coates LC, Mahoney J, Ramsey JS, Warwick E, Johnson R, MacCoss MJ, Krasnoff SB, Howe KJ, Moulton K, Saha S, Mueller LA, Hall DG, Shatters RG, Heck ML, Slupsky CM (2020) “Development on Citrus medica infected with ‘Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus’ has sex-specific and -nonspecific impacts on adult Diaphorina citri and its endosymbionts’.” PLoS One . 15(10):e0239771. PMID: 33022020
- Pereira GE, Padhi EMT, Girardello RC, Plaza CM, Tseng D, Bruce RC, Erdmann JN, Kurtural SK, Slupsky C, Oberholster A (2020) “Trunk Girdling Increased Stomatal Conductance in Cabernet Sauvignon Grapevines, Reduced Glutamine, and Increased Malvidin-3-Glucoside and Quercetin-3-Glucoside Concentrations in Skins and Pulp at Harvest.” Front Plant Sci. 11, 707. PMID: 32595661
- Ramsey JS, Chin EL, Chavez JD, Saha S, Mishchuk DO, Mahoney J, Mohr J, Robinson FM, Foster E, Xu Y, Strickler S, Fernandez N, Zhong X, Polek M, Godfrey KE, Giovannoni JG, Mueller L, Slupsky CM, Bruce JE, Heck M. (2020) “Longitudinal transcriptomic, proteomic, and metabolomics analysis of Citrus Limon response to graft inoculation by ‘Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus’.” J Proteome Res. 19(6), 2247-2263. PMID: 32338516
- Chin EL, Ramsey JS, Mishchuk DO, Saha S, Foster E, Chavez JD, Howe K, Zhong X, Polek M, Godfrey KE, Mueller L, Bruce JE, Heck M, Slupsky CM (2020) “Longitudinal transcriptomic, proteomic, and metabolomics analyses of Citrus sinesis (L.) Osbeck graft-inoculated with ‘Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus’.” J Proteome Res. 19(2): 719-732. PMID: 31885275
- Ehrlich AM, Pacheco AR, Henrick BM, Taft D, Xe G, Huda NM, Mishchuk D, Goodson M, Slupsky C, Barile D, Lebrilla CB, Stephensen CB, Mills DA, Raybould HE (2020) “Indole-3-lactic acid associated with Bifidobacterium-dominated microbiota significantly decreases inflammation in intestinal epithelial cells.” BMC Microbiol . 20(1):357 PMID: 33225894
- He X, McClorry S, Hernell O, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2020). “Digestion of human milk fat in healthy infants”. Nutr Res. 83: 15-29. PMID: 32987285
- He X, Sotelo Orozco J, Rudolph C, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2020). “The role of protein and free amino acids on intake, metabolism and gut microbiome: a comparison between breast-fed and formula-fed rhesus monkey infants”. Front Pediatr . 7:563. PMID: 32039120
- Sotelo-Orozco J, Chen S-Y, Hertz-Picciotto I, Slupsky CM (2020) “A comparison of serum and plasma blood collection tubes for the integration of epidemiological and metabolomics data” Front Mol Biosci . 8:682134. PMID: 34307452.
- Hasegawa Y, Otoki Y, McClorry S, Coates LC, Lombardi RL, Taha AY, Slupsky CM (2020) “Optimization of a method for the simultaneous extraction of polar and non-polar oxylipin metabolites, DNA, RNA, small RNA, and protein from a single small tissue sample” Meth Protocols . 3(3) E61. PMID: 32859006.
- Sylvestre DA, Slupsky CM, Aviv R, Swardfager W, Taha A (2020) “Untargeted metabolomic analysis of plasma from relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients reveals changes in metabolites associated with neurocognitive and structural changes in the brain” Brain Res. 1732:146589. PMID: 31816317.
- Lin SY, Slupsky CM, Mishchuk DO, Mau JL (2019) “Composition of Mycelia and Basidiomata of the Culinary-Medicinal Golden Oyster Mushroom, Pleurotus citrinopileatus(Agaricomycetes) by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy” Int J Med Mushrooms 21 (10): 965-977.
- McClorry S, Slupsky CM, Lind T, Karlsland Åkeson P, Hernell O, Öhlund I (2019). “Effectiveness of vitamin D supplementation in Swedish children may be negatively impacted by BMI and serum fructose”. J Nut Biochem.75:108251. PMID: 31707286
- He X, Parenti M, Grip T, Lönnerdal B, Timby N, Domellöf M, Hernell O, Slupsky CM (2019). “Fecal microbiome and metabolome of infants fed bovine MFGM supplemented formula or standard formula with breast-fed infants as reference: a randomized controlled trial“. Sci Rep. 9(1):11589. PMID: 31406230
- Orozco JS, Hertz-Picciotto I, Abbeduto L, Slupsky CM (2019). “Metabolomics analysis of children with autism, idiopathic-developmental delays, and Down syndrome“. Transl Psychiratry. 9(1):243. PMID:31582732
- He X, Parenti M, Grip T, Domellöf M, Lönnerdal B, Hernell O, Timby N, Slupsky CM (2019). “Metabolic phenotype of breast-fed infants, and infants fed standard formula or bovine MFGM supplemented formula: a randomized controlled trial“. Sci Rep. 9(1):339. PMID: 30674917
- SanctuaryMR, Kain JN, Chen SY, Kalanetra K, Lemay DG, Rose DR, Yang HT, Tancredi DJ, German JB, Slupsky CM, Ashwood, Mills DA, Smilowitz JT, Angkustsiri K (2019). “Pilot study of probiotic/colostrum supplementation on gut function in children with autism and gastrointestinal symptoms“. Plos One. 14(1):e0210064. PMID: 30625189
- Simons T, McNeilC, Pham VD, Wang S, Wang Y, Slupsky C, Guinard JX (2019). “Chemical and sensory analysis of commercial Navel oranges in California” npj Science of Food 3:22. PMID: 31701017
- Simons TJ, McNeilCJ, Pham VD, Suh JH, Wang Y, Slupsky CM, Guinard JX (2019). “Evaluation of California-Grown Blood and Cara Cara Oranges Through Consumer Testing, Descriptive Analysis, and Targeted Chemical Profiling“. J Food Sci. 84(11):3246-3263. PMID: 31609472
- Simons T, McNeil C, Pham V, Slupsky C, Guinard JX (2019). “Comparison of preference clustering outcomes from replicated consumer tests- A case study with mandarins” J Sens Sci. e12537
- Padhi E, Maharaj N, Lin S-Y, Mishchuk D, Chin E, Godfrey K, Foster E, Polek M, Leveau J, Slupsky CM (2019). “Metabolome and microbiome signatures in the roots of citrus affected by Huanglongbing“. PMID: 31433274
- Simons TJ, McNeil CJ, Pham VD, Slupsky CM, Roose ML, Guinard JX (2019). “Chemical, Sensory, and Consumer Evaluations of ‘DaisySL’ Mandarins Grafted onto Three Different Rootstocks“ Hort Sci. 54(7):1217-1222
- Metrulas L, McNeil C, Slupsky CM, Bamforth C (2019). “The application of metabolomics to ascertain the significance of prolonged maturation in the production of lager‐style beers“. J I Brewing. 125(2), 242-249
- Heeney DD, Zhai Z, Bendiks Z, Barouei J, Martinic A, Slupsky C, Martin R, Marco ML. (2019) “ plantarum bacteriocin is associated with intestinal and systemic improvements in diet-induced obese mice and maintains epithelial barrier integrity in vitro” Gut Microbes 10(3): 382-397. PMID: 30409105
- Lee H, Padhi E, Hasegawa Y, Larke J, Parenti M, Wang A, Hernell O, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky C (2018).”Compositional dynamics of the milk fat globule and its role in infant development“. Front Pediatr. 6(313), 1-21. PMID: 30460213
- McClorry S, Zavaleta N, Llanos A, Casapía M, Lönnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2018). “Anemia in infancy is associated with alterations in systemic metabolism and microbial structure and function in a sex-specific manner: an observational study“. Am J Cliln Nutr. 108(6):1-11. PMID: 30351381
- Gay MCL, Koleva PT, Slupsky CM, Toit ED, Eggesbo M, Johnson CC, Wegienka G, Shimojo N, Campbell DE, Prescott SL, Munblit D, Geddes DT, Kozyrskyj AL; InVIVO LactoActive Study Investigators (2018). “Worldwide Variation in Human Milk Metabolome: Indicators of Breast Physiology and Maternal Lifestyle?” Nutrients 10(9). pii: E1151. PMID: 30420587
- Hasegawa Y, Curtis B, Yutuc V, Rulien M, Morrisroe K, Watkins K, Ferrier C, English C, Hewitson L, Slupsky CM (2018). “Microbial structure and function in infant and juvenile rhesus macaques are primarily affected by age, not vaccination status“. Sci Rep. 8(1):15867. PMID: 30367140
- French CD, Willoughby RE, Pan A, Wong SJ, Foley JF, Wheat LJ, Fernandez J, Encarnacion R, Ondrush JM, Fatteh N, Paez A, David D, Javaid W, Amzuta IG, Neilan AM, Robbins GK, Brunner AM, Hu WT, Mishchuk DO, Slupsky CM (2018). “NMR metabolomics of cerebrospinal fluid differentiates inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system“. PLos Negl Trop Dis. 12(12): e0007045. PMID: 30557317
- Martinic A, Barouei J, Bendiks Z, Mishchuk D, Heeney DD, Martin R, Marco M, and Slupsky CM (2018). “Supplementation of Lactobacillus plantarum Improves Markers of Metabolic Dysfunction Induced by a High Fat Diet“. J Proteome Res.17(8), 2790-2802
- Lee H,Zavaleta N,Chen S, Lönnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2018). “Effect of bovine milk fat globule membrane as a complementary food on the serum metabolize and immune markers of 6-11-month-old Peruvian infants“. NPJ Sci Food. 2(6). PMID: 31304256
- Yin X, Heeney D, Srisengfa Y, Chen SY, Slupsky C, Marco M. (2018) “Sucrose metabolism alters Lactobacillus plantarum survival and interactions with the microbiota in the digestive tract”. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 94(7). PMID: 29771345
- Slupsky CM, He X, Hernell O, Andersson Y, Rudolph C, Lönnerdal B, West CE (2017). “Postprandial response of breast-fed infants and infants fed lactose-free vs regular infant formula – unexpected metabolic effects on amino acid metabolism. A randomized controlled trial” Sci Rep. 7(1):3640. PMID: 28623320
- Smilowitz JT, Lemay DG, Kalenetra KM, Chin EL, Zivkovic AM, Breck MA, German JB, Mills DA, Slupsky C, Barile D (2017) “Tolerability and safety of the intake of bovine milk oligosaccharides extracted from cheese whey in healthy human adults.” J Nutr Sci. 6: e6. PMID: 28620481
- Munblit D, Peroni DG, Boix-Amorós A, Hsu PS, Land BV, Gay MCL, Kolotilina A, Skevaki C, Boyle RJ, Collado MC, Garssen J, Geddes DT, Nanan R, Slupsky C, Wegienka G, Kozyrskyj AL, Warner JO. (2017) “Human milk and allergic diseases: An unsolved puzzle” Nutrients 9(8) E894. PMID: 28817095
- Barouei J, Bendiks Z, Martinic A, Mishchuk D, Heeney D, Hsieh Y-H, Kieffer D, Zaragoza J, Martin R, Slupsky C, Marco M (2017). “Microbiota, metabolome, and immune alterations in obese mice fed a high fat diet containing type 2 resistant starch“. Mol Nutr Food Res. 61(11). PMID: 28736992
- Chin E, Godfrey K, Polek ML, Slupsky C (2017) “Metabolomic analysis of Citrus macrophylla subjected to Asian Citrus Psyllid (Diaphorina citri Kuwayama) feeding” Arthropod Plant Interact. 11(6):901–909
- Moran-Ramos S, He X, Chin EL, Tovar AR, Torres N, Slupsky CM, Raybould HE (2017) “Nopal feeding reduces adiposity, intestinal inflammation and shifts the cecal microbiota and metabolism in high-fat fed rats.” Plos One. 12(2). PMID: 28196086
- Alexeev E, He X, Slupsky C, Lönnerdal B (2017) “Effects of iron supplementation on growth, gut microbiota, metabolomics and cognitive development of rat pups” PLoS One 12(6): e0179713. PMID: 28662197
- Reverri EJ, Slupsky CM, Mishchuk DO, Steinberg FM (2017) “Metabolomics reveals differences between three daidzein metabolizing phenotypes in adults with cardiometabolic risk factors.” Mol Nutr Food Res. 16(1). PMID: 27364093
- He X, Slupsky CM, Dekker JW, Haggarty NW, Lönnerdal B (2016). “Integrated Role of Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis Supplementation in Gut Microbiota, Immunity, and Metabolism of Infant Rhesus Monkeys.” 1(6). PMID: 27921083
- Kortesniemi M, Slupsky CM, Ollikka T, Kauko L, Spevacek AR, Sjövall O, Yang B, Kallio H (2016) “NMR profiling clarifies the characterization of Finnish honeys of different botanical origins” Food Res Int. 86, 83-92.
- Spevacek AR, Benson KH, Bamforth CW, Slupsky CM (2016) “Beer metabolomics: Molecular details of the brewing process and the differential effects of late and dry hopping on yeast purine metabolism” J Inst Brew. 122 (1).
- Lo YC, Chien SC, Mishchuk DO, Slupsky CM, Mau JL (2016) “Quantification of Water-Soluble Metabolites in Medicinal Mushrooms Using Proton NMR Spectroscopy.” Int J Med Mushrooms. 18 (5):413-24. PMID: 27649603
- Spevacek AR, Smilowitz JT, Chin EL, Underwood MA, German JB, Slupsky CM (2015). “Infant Maturity at Birth Reveals Minor Differences in the Maternal Milk Metabolome in the First Month of Lactation.” J Nutr. PMID: 26041675
- Chen SY, Yu HT, Kao JP, Yang CC, Chiang SS, Mishchuk DO, Mau JL, Slupsky CM (2015) “Consumption of vitamin D2 enhanced mushrooms is associated with improved bone health” J Nutr Biochem. 26:696-703. PMID: 25792284
- Chin EL, Mishchuk DO, Breksa AP, Slupsky CM (2014) “Metabolite signature of Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus infection in two citrus varieties.” J Agric Food Chem. 62:6585-91. PMID: 24959841.
- Chen SY, Yu HT, Kao JP, Yang CC, Chiang SS, Mishchuk DO, Mau JL, Sluspky CM (2014) “An NMR metabolomic study on the effect of alendronate in ovariectomized mice.” Plos One. 9, e106559. PMID: 25184758
- He X, Slupsky CM(2014) “Metabolic fingerprint of dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2) in microbial-mammalian co-metabolism.” J Proteome Res. 13, 5281-91. PMID: 25245235
- Warden CH, Slupsky CM, Min E, Le A, Fisler JS, Hansen S, Haj F, Stern J (2014) “Brown Norway chromosome 1 congenic reduces symptoms of renal disease including distal tubular damage in fatty Zucker rats.” Plos One. 9: e87770. PMID: 24498189
- He X, Mishchuk DO, Shah J, Weimer BC, Slupsky CM(2013) “Cross-talk between E. coli strains and a human colorectal adenocarcinoma-derived cell line.” Sci Rep. 3:3416. PMID: 24301462
- He X, Marco ML, Slupsky CM (2013) “Emerging aspects of food and nutrition on on gut microbiota.” J Agric Food Chem. 61: 9559-74. PMID: 24028159
- Smilowitz JT, O’Sullivan A, Barile D, German JB, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2013) “The human milk metabolome reveals diverse oligosaccharide profiles.” J Nutr .143: 1709-18. PMID: 24027187
- Harris C, Chowanadisai W, Mishchuk DO, Satre M, Slupsky CM, Rucker RB (2013) “Dietary pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) alters indicators of plasma antioxidant potential, inflammation, and mitochondrial-related metabolism in human subjects.” J Nutr Biochem. 24:2076-84. PMID: 24231099
- Tso V, Sydora BC, Foshaug RR, Churchill TA, Doyle J, Slupsky CM, Fedorak RN. (2013) “Metabolomic profiles are gender, disease, and time specific in the interleukin-10 gene-deficient mouse model of inflammatory bowel disease.” Plos One 8: e67654. PMID: 23874435
- O’Sullivan A, He X, McNiven EM, Haggarty NW, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2013) “Early diet impacts infant rhesus gut microbiome, immunity, and metabolism.” J Proteome Res. 12: 2833-2845. PMID: 23651394
- O’Sullivan A, He X, McNiven EM, Hinde K, Haggarty NW, Lonnerdal B, Slupsky CM (2013) “Metabolomic phenotyping validates the infant rhesus monkey as a model of human infant metabolism.” J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 56: 355-363. PMID: 23201704
- O’Sullivan A, Willoughby RE, Mishchuk D, Alcarraz B, Cabezas-Sanchez C, Condori RE, David D, Encarnacion R, Fatteh N, Fernandez J, Franka R, Hedderwick S, McCaughey C, Ondrush J, Paez-Martinez A, Rupprecht C, Velasco-Villa A, Slupsky CM (2013) “Metabolomics of cerebrospinal fluid from humans treated for rabies.” J Proteome Res. 12: 481-490. PMID: 23163834
- Slisz A, Breksa AP, Mishchuk DO, McCollum G, Slupsky CM (2012) “Infection of citrus by Candidatus Liberibacter reveals insight into pathogenicity.” J Proteome Res. 11: 4223-4230. PMID: 22698301.
- Stephens NS, Siffeldeen J, Su X, Murdoch TB, Fedorak RN, Slupsky CM (2013) “Urinary NMR metabolomics profiles discriminate inflammatory bowel disease from healthy.” J Crohns Colitis. 7: e42- e48. PMID: 22626506.
- Reinke SN, Resch L, Maingat F, Branton W, Jackson A, Saxinger L, Holt R, Slupsky C, Marrie T, Sykes BD, Power C (2013) “Metagenomic and metabolomic characterization of rabies encephalitis – new insights into the treatment of an ancient disease.” J Infect Dis. 207, 1451-1456. PMID: 22927447
- Zhang X, Breksa AP, Mishchuk DO, Fake C, O’Mahony MA, Slupsky CM (2012) “Fertilization and pesticides affect mandarin orange nutrient composition.” Food Chem. 134: 1020 – 1024. PMID: 23107722
- McNiven EM, German JB, Slupsky CM (2011) “Analytical metabolomics: Nutritional opportunities for personalized health.” J Nutr Biochem. 22: 995 – 1002. PMID: 21999844.
- Zhang X, Breksa A, Mishchuk DO, Slupsky CM (2011) “Elevation, root stock, and soil depth affect nutritional quality of mandarin oranges.” J Agric Food Chem. 59: 2672 – 2679. PMID: 21332232
- Moroz J, Turner J, Slupsky C, Fallone G, Syme A (2011) “Tumor xenograft detection through quantitative analysis of the metabolic profile of urine in mice.” Phys Med Biol. 56: 535 – 556. PMID: 21212470
- Slupsky CM (2011) “Nuclear magnetic resonance-based analysis of urine for the rapid etiological diagnosis of pneumonia.” Expert Opin Med Diagn. 5: 63 – 73. PMID: 23484477
- Davis VW, Bathe OF, Schiller DE, Slupsky CM, Sawyer MB (2011) “Metabolomics and surgical oncology: Potential role for small molecule biomarkers.” J Surg Oncol. 103: 451 – 459. PMID: 21400531
- Slupsky CM, Steed H, Wells TH, Dabbs K, Schepansky A, Capstick V, Faught W, Sawyer MB (2010) “Urine metabolite analysis offers potential early diagnosis of ovarian and breast cancers.” Clin Cancer Res. 16: 5835 – 5841. PMID: 20956617
- Wang H, Tso V, Slupsky CM, Fedorak R (2010) “Metabolomics and detection of colorectal cancer in humans – A systematic review.” Future Oncol. 6: 1395 – 1406. PMID: 20919825
- Sekar Y, Moon TC, Slupsky CM, Befus AD (2010) “Protein tyrosine nitration of aldolase in mast cells: a plausible pathway in nitric oxide-mediated regulation of mast cell function.” J Immunol. 185: 578 – 587. PMID: 20511553
- Slupsky CM (2010) “NMR-based analysis of metabolites in urine provides a rapid diagnosis and etiology of pneumonia.” Biomark Med. 4: 195 – 197. PMID: 20406062
- Slupsky CM, Rankin KN, Fu H, Chang D, Rowe BH, Charles PG, McGeer A, Low D, Long R, Kunimoto D, Sawyer MB, Fedorak RN, Adamko DJ, Saude EJ, Shah SL, Marrie TJ (2009) “Pneumococcal pneumonia: potential for diagnosis through a urinary metabolic profile.” J Proteome Res. 8, 5550 – 5558. PMID: 19817432
- Slupsky CM, Cheypesh A, Chao D, Fu H, Rankin KN, Marrie TJ, Lacy P (2009) “Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia induce distinct metabolic responses.” J Proteome Res. 8, 3029 – 3036. PMID: 19368345
- Takeda I, Stretch C, Barnaby P, Bhatnager K, Rankin K, Fu H, Weljie A, Jha N, Slupsky C (2009) “Understanding the human salivary metabolome.” NMR Biomed. 22: 577 – 584. PMID: 19259987
- Mahadevan S, Shah SL, Marrie TJ, Slupsky CM (2008) “Analysis of metabolomic data using support vector machines.” Anal Chem. 80, 7562 – 7570. PMID: 18767870
- Murdoch TB, Fu H, Martin S, Sydora B, Fedorak RN, Slupsky CM (2008) “Urinary metabolic profiles of inflammatory bowel disease in interleukin-10 gene deficient mice.” Anal Chem. 80, 5524 – 5531. PMID: 18558774
- McGrath BM, McKay R, Dave S, Seres P, Weljie AM, Slupsky CM, Hanstock CC, Greenshaw AJ, Silverstone PH (2008) “Acute dextro-amphetamine administration does not alter brain myo-inositol levels in humans and animals: MRS investigations at 3T and 18.8T.” Neurosci 61, 351 – 359. PMID: 18508145
- Slupsky CM, Rankin KN, Wagner J, Fu H, Chang D, Weljie AM, Saude EJ, Lix B, Adamko DJ, Shah S, Greiner R, Sykes BD, and Marrie TJ (2007) “Investigations of the effects of gender, diurnal variation, and age in human urinary metabolomic profiles.” Anal Chem. 79, 6995 – 7004. PMID: 17702530
- Slupsky CM, Spyracopoulos L, Booth VK, Sykes BD, and Crump MP (2007) “Probing nascent structures in peptides using natural abundance 13C NMR relaxation and reduced spectral density mapping.” 67, 18 – 30. PMID: 17256768
- McGrath BM, Greenshaw AJ, McKay R, Slupsky CM, Silverstone PH (2007) “Unlike lithium, anticonvulsants and antidepressants do not alter rat brain myo-inositol.” 18, 1595 – 1598. PMID: 17885608
- McGrath BM, Greenshaw AJ, McKay R, Slupsky CM, and Silverstone PH (2006) “Lithium alters regional rat brain myo-inositol at 2 and 4 weeks: An ex vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy study at 18.8 T.” NeuroReport 17, 1323 – 1326. PMID: 16951578
- Saude EJ, Slupsky CM, and Sykes BD (2006) “Optimization of NMR analysis of biological fluids for quantitative accuracy.” Metabolomics 2, 113 – 123. PMID:
- Weljie AM, Newton J, Mercier P, Carlson E and Slupsky CM (2006) “Targeted profiling: Quantitative analysis of 1H-NMR metabolomics data.” Anal Chem. 78, 4430 – 4442. PMID: 16808451
- Graether SP, Slupsky CM, and Sykes BD (2006) “Effect of a mutation on the structure and dynamics of an alpha-helical antifreeze protein in water and ice.” Proteins 63, 603 – 610. PMID: 16437556
- van Schaik EJ, Giltner CL, Audette GF, Keizer DW, Bautista DL, Slupsky CM, Sykes BD, and Irvin RT (2005) “DNA binding: a novel function of Pseudomonas aeruginosa type IV pili.” J Bacteriol. 187, 1455 – 1464. PMID: 15687210
- Mackereth CD, Scharpf M, Gentile LN, MacIntosh SE, Slupsky CM, and McIntosh LP (2004) “Diversity in structure and function of the Ets family PNT domains.” J Mol Biol. 342, 1249 – 1264. PMID: 15351649
- Wan X, Xu D, Slupsky CM, and Lin G (2003) “Automated protein NMR resonance assignments.” Proc IEEE Comput Soc Bioinform Conf. 2, 197 – 208. PMID: 16452794
- Slupsky CM, Boyko RF, Booth V, and Sykes B.D. (2003) “SMARTNOTEBOOK: A semi-automated assignment procedure.” J Biomol NMR. 27, 313 – 321. PMID: 14512729
- Booth V, Slupsky CM, Clark-Lewis I, and Sykes BD (2003) “Unmasking ligand binding motifs: identification of a chemokine receptor motif by NMR studies of antagonist peptides.” J Mol Biol 327 329 – 334. PMID: 12628240
- Raussens V, Slupsky CM, Ryan RO, and Sykes BD (2003) “Lipid-bound structure of an apolipoprotein E-derived peptide.” J Biol Chem. 278, 25998 – 26006. PMID: 12709434
- Lakey JRT, Moser G, Helms LMH, Lix B, Slupsky CM, Rebeyka I, Sykes BD, and McGann LE (2003) “Dynamics of cryoprotectant permeation in porcine heart valve leaflets.” Cell Transpl. 12, 123 – 128. PMID:12797373
- Graether SP, Slupsky CM, and Sykes BD (2003) “Freezing of a fish antifreeze protein results in amyloid fibril formation.” Biophys J. 84, 552 – 557. PMID: 12524307
- Raussens V, Slupsky CM, Ryan RO, and Sykes BD (2002) “NMR structure and dynamics of a receptor-active apolipoprotein E peptide.” J Biol Chem. 277, 29172 – 20180. PMID: 12036962
- Bhattacharyya S, Habibi-Nazhad B, Amegbey G, Slupsky CM, Yee A, Arrowsmith C, and Wishart DS (2002). “Identification of a novel archaebacterial thioredoxin: Determination of function through structure.” Biochemistry 41, 4760 – 4770. PMID: 11939770
- Graether SP, Slupsky CM, Davies PL, and Sykes BD (2001) “Structure of type I antifreeze protein and mutants in supercooled water.” Biophys J. 81, 1677 – 1683. PMID: 11509380
- Slupsky CM, Sykes DB, Gay GL, and Sykes BD (2001) “The HoxB1 hexapeptide is a prefolded domain: Implications for the Pbx1/Hox interaction.” Protein Sci. 10, 1244 – 1253. PMID: 11369863
- Keizer DW, Slupsky CM, Kalisiak M, Campbell AP, Crump MP, Sastry PA, Hazes B, Irvin RT, and Sykes BD (2001) “Structure of a pilin monomer from Pseudomonas aeruginosa: Implications for the assembly of pili.” J Biol Chem. 276, 24186 – 24193. PMID: 11294863
- Bjorndahl TC, Watson MS, Slupsky CM, Malcolm BA, Spyracopolous L, Sykes BD, and Wishart DS (2001) “Complete 1H, 13C, and 15N backbone assignments for the hepatitis A virus 3C protease.” J Biomol NMR. 19, 187 – 188. PMID: 11256814
- Desautels M, DenHaese JP, Slupsky CM, McIntosh LP, and Hemmingsen SM (2001) “Cdc4p, a contractile ring protein essential for cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe, interacts with a phosphatidylinositol-4-kinase.” J Biol Chem. 276, 5932 – 5942. PMID: 11087749
- Slupsky CM, Desautels M, Huebert T, Zhao R, Hemmingsen SM, and McIntosh LP (2001) “Structure of Cdc4p, a contractile ring protein essential for cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.” J Biol Chem. 276, 5943 – 5951. PMID: 11087750
- Keizer DW, Crump MP, Lee TW, Slupsky CM, Clark-Lewis I, and Sykes BD (2000) “The human CC chemokine I-309, structural consequences of the additional disulfide bond.” Biochemistry 39, 6053 – 6059. PMID: 10821677
- *Elisseeva EL, *Slupsky CM, Crump MP, Clark-Lewis I, and Sykes BD (2000) “NMR studies of active N-terminal peptides of stromal cell-derived factor-1: Structural basis for receptor binding.” J Biol Chem. 275, 26799 – 26805. PMID: 10846182
- Slupsky CM, Gentile LN, Donaldson LW, Mackereth CD, Seidel JJ, Graves BJ, and McIntosh LP (1998) “Structure of the Ets-1 pointed domain and mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation site.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 95, 12129 – 12134. PMID: 9770451
- Slupsky CM, Gentile LN, and McIntosh LP (1998) “Assigning the NMR spectra of aromatic amino acids in proteins: Analysis of two Ets pointed domains.” Biochem Cell Biol. 76, 379 – 390. PMID: 9923707
- Slupsky CM, and Sykes BD (1995) “NMR solution structure of calcium-saturated skeletal muscle troponin C.” Biochemistry 34, 15953 – 15964. PMID: 8519752
- Slupsky CM, Reinach FC, Smillie LB, and Sykes BD (1995) “Solution secondary structure of calcium-saturated troponin C monomer determined by multidimensional heteronuclear NMR spectroscopy.” Protein Sci. 4, 1279 – 1290. PMID: 7670371
- Slupsky CM, Kay CM, Reinach FC, Smillie LB, and Sykes BD (1995) “Calcium-induced dimerization of troponin C: Mode of interaction and use of trifluoroethanol as a denaturant of quaternary structure.” Biochemistry 34, 7365 – 7375. PMID: 7779778
- Slupsky CM, Shaw GS, Campbell AP, and Sykes BD (1992) “A 1H NMR study of a ternary peptide complex that mimics the interaction between troponin C and troponin I.” Protein Sci. 1, 1595-1603. PMID: 1304891
Book chapters, and non-peer reviewed publications:
- Mauk P, Vidalakis G, Kahn T, Roose M, Grafton-Cardwell B, Schneider W, Slupsky CM, Ma W, Hartung J, Polek ML (2022). ““Research using HLB canine detection team: First line of offense.” In Citrograph 10 13 (2): 24-27.
- Padhi E, Mishchuk D, Slupsky CM (2020). ““NMR as a promising screening tool for identifying HLB in citrus.” In Citrograph 10 11 (1): 52-56.
- Slupsky CM (2019). “Metabolomics in Human Milk Research”. In Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser. 90:179-190. PMID: 30865986
- Mauk PA, Polek M, Grafton-Cardwell E, Adaskaveg JE, Kahn T, Vidalakis G, Roose M, Ma W, Slupsky C, Gottwald T (2019) “UCR and USDA-ARS prepare for HLB.” In Citrograph 10 (4): 32-34.
- Chin E, Godfrey K, LeVesque C, Polek ML, Slupsky C (2018) “ACP and citrus: The invisible battle in the war on HLB.” In Citrograph 9 (1): 44-47.
- Mishchuk D, He X, and Slupsky C. (2017) “Detection of CandidatusLiberibacter infection in California citrus.” In Citrograph 8:3, 52-55.
- Chetelat L, Chin E, Mishchuk D, and Slupsky CM (2016). “California citrus threats.” In Citrograph 7(2):34-38.
- Grafton-Cardwell B, Irey M, Bartels D, Slupsky C, McRoberts N (2016) “Immediate action is needed: Summary of the HLB summit morning session” In Citrograph 7 (2), 24-26.
- Chin E, Lobo R, da Graca J, Hilf M, McCollum G, LeVesque C, and Slupsky CM (2015). “Early detection of Huanglongbing with metabolomics.” In Citrograph 6 (2), 32-34.
- Chin E, Mishchuk DO, Bruce J, Cilia M, Coaker G, Davis C, Jin H, Ma W, Sellar G, LeVesque C, Godfrey K, and Slupsky CM (2014). “An interdisciplinary approach to combat HLB.” In Citrograph 5 (1): 28-34.
- Slupsky CM, Breksa AP, Hilf M (2013) “Metabolites may reveal attack strategy of the microbe causing HLB.” In Citrograph 4 (1): 40-42.
- Chin E, Slupsky CM (2013). “Applications of metabolomics in food science: Food composition, quality, sensory and nutritional attributes.” In Metabolomics in Food and Nutrition. Weimer B, and Slupsky CM, eds. Woodhead, Cambridge, U.K.
- Sotelo J, Slupsky CM (2013). “Metabolomics using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).” In Metabolomics in Food and Nutrition. Weimer B, and Slupsky CM, eds. Woodhead, Cambridge, U.K.
- O’Sullivan A, Avizonis D, German JB, Slupsky CM (2011). “Software Tools for NMR Metabolomics.” In Encyclopedia of nuclear magnetic resonance. Harris RK, and Wasylishen R, eds. Wiley Interscience, Chichester, U.K. DOI: 10.1002/9780470034590.emrstm1232. Published 15th December 2011
- Slupsky CM, and Sykes BD (1999). “The structural basis of regulation by EF-hand calcium binding proteins.” In Calcium as a cellular regulator. Carifoli E, and Klee CB, eds. Oxford University Press, New York. pp 73 – 99.
- Sykes BD, Audette G, Gagné SM, Li M, Slupsky CM, and Tsuda S (1996). “NMR studies of the calcium-induced structural changes that trigger muscle contraction.” In Biomacromolecules: From 3D-structure to Applications. 34th Hanford Symposium on Health and the Environment. Ornstein RL, ed. Batelle Press, Columbus Ohio. pp 11 – 19.
- Sykes BD, Slupsky CM, Wishart DS, Sönnichsen FD, and Gagné SM (1996) “On the use of NMR in complex biological systems: NMR studies of calcium sensitive interactions amongst muscle proteins” In NMR as a Structural Tool for Macromolecules: Current Status and Future Directions, Nageswara-Rao BD, and Kemple MD, eds. Plenum Press, New York, pp 275-284.
- Slupsky CM, and Sykes BD (1996) “Muscle Proteins.” In Encyclopedia of nuclear magnetic resonance. Grant DM, and Harris RK, eds. Wiley Interscience, Chichester, U.K. pp. 3188 – 3200.
Presentation (2003 – present):
2021 “The link between nutrition and the microbiome in infancy” ASN2021. ***Presented virtually***
2020 “Infant fecal metabolite profiles reveal microbial activity” ACS Fall 2020 Virtual Meeting & Expo. August. ***Presented virtually***
2020 “Understanding the function of the milk and milk components on the gut microbiome and human health” IFT20. Virtual Conference. July. ***Presented virtually***
2020 “The use of multi-omics approaches to understand the effects of CLas on citrus and its insect vector Diaphorina citri”. CEND (Center for Emerging & Neglected Diseases) Symposium. Berkeley, CA, USA. January
2019 “Understanding the function of the milk and milk components on human health” NCHU Meeting. Taichung, Taiwan. December
2019 “Understanding the function of the milk fat globule membrane” International Milk Genomics Consortium. Aarhaus, Denmark. November
2019 April “The impact of diet on the infant metabolome and microbiome” Korean Metabolomics Society Meeting. April 4, 2019. Seoul, South Korea.
2018 October “The impact of early diet on the microbiome and metabolome” UC Davis Mini-Symposium on fatty acids and their oxidized derivatives in pregnancy and development. October 30, 2018. Davis, CA
2018 October “Impact of diet on the infant metabolome, microbiome, and immune development” International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation (ISRHML) 2018. Shonan, Japan
2018, July. “At the nexus of food, the microbiome, and health” American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists 20th annual meeting. July 28, 2018. Indianapolis, IN.
2018, June. “Metabolomics as an EDT for HLB” CRB Vectored Disease Meeting. June 19, 2019. Visalia, CA.
2018, June. “The impact of early diet on the microbiome and metabolome” Nutrition 2018. Boston, MA.
2018, May. “At the nexus of food, the microbiome, and health.” Human Genomics Seminar Series. UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA.
2018, April. “New strategies to save California citrus.” Seed Central. Davis, CA.
2018, April. “Impact of milk on the metabolic phenotype of the developing neonate.” InFLAME 2018. Canmore, AB, Canada.
2018, March. “Impact of milk on the metabolic phenotype of the developing neonate.” Kenneth A. Spencer Award Symposium at the American Chemical Society meeting. New Orleans, LA.
2018, March. “The link between metabolism and ASD” Environmental Contributors to Autism: Comprehensive Grantee Meeting. Sacramento, CA.
2018, February. “The link between the gut microbiome and metabolic phenotype” Nutrition Update. UC Davis Putah Creek Lodge. Davis, CA
2017, October. “Metabolomics in human milk research” 90th Nestle Nutrition Institute Workshop. Lausanne, Switzerland.
2017, October. “Food, nutrition, and the microbiome” UC Davis 3rd Annual Liver Research Day. Davis, CA.
2017, June. “Fiber, the microbiome, and health: Are all fibers equal?” University of Turku Invited Lecture. Turku, Finland.
2017, June. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” XXXIX Finnish NMR Symposium. Turku, Finland.
2017, May. “Impact of supplementation of infant formula with bovine milk fat globule membrane on the fecal microbiome, and fecal and plasma metabolomes of infants.” European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition (ESPGHAN). Prague, Czech Republic.
2017, May. “The intimate link between milk and the infant microbiome. What goes in, what comes out, and what does it all mean?” InFLAME 6th Annual Workshop. New York, NY.
2017, April. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (CAND) Annual Conference and Exhibition. Sacramento, CA.
2017, April. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” Ohio State University Invited Lecture. Colombus, OH.
2017, April. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” Chico State University Invited Lecture. Chico, CA.
2017, March. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” Functional Food Center’s 21st International Conference and Expo on Functional Foods. San Diego, CA.
2016, December. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” International Symposium on Agricultural Biotechnology. Taichung, Taiwan.
2016, December. “The impact of environment on the plasma metabolome and its relationship with autism.” UC Davis Environmental Health Sciences Annual Retreat. Davis. CA.
2016, November. “Unraveling the intricate relationship between food, nutrition, and health.” Kinsella Symposium. Davis, CA.
2016, October. “Is targeting the microbiome a feasible approach for promoting health?” Second Annual BINC Symposium. Chengdu, China.
2016, October. “Unraveling the intricate relationshiop between food, nutrition, and health.” Beijing Internacitonal Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Health. Beijing, China.
2016, October. “Metabolomics as a high throughput early detection method of CLas in citrus.” HLB ACP summit. Riverside, CA.
2016, August, Plenary Lecture. “Update for Nutrition Educators: The interactive role of the human microbiome, nutrition and health” Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Annual Conference (Briggs Symposium). San Diego, CA.
2016, May, “Breast milk or infant formula: Consequences for the microbiome and metabolome.” Invited lecture at CHORI. Berkeley, CA.
2016, May, “Using Metabolomics to dissect the pathogenicity of C. Liberibacter asiaticus in citrus.” The 2016 SECIM Metabolomics Symposium. University of Florida. Orlando, FL.
2016, March, “Using Metabolomics to dissect the pathogenicity of C. Liberibacter asiaticus in citrus.” Invited lecture at Cornell University. Ithaca, NY.
2016, March, “Breast milk or infant formula: Consequences for the microbiome and metabolome.” American Chemical Society Meeting. San Diego, CA.
2016, March, “The functional role of fiber in the diet: Prebiotics, metabolic benefits and beyond.” American Chemical Society Meeting. San Diego, CA.
2016, March, “Measuring the impact of diet on health.” Natural Products Expo. Anaheim, CA.
2016 January, “Your gut microbiome, nutrition, and disease”. Public Lecture at the “Healthy Eating Club”. Kilaga Lodge, Lincoln, CA.
2015 December, Early detection technologies (EDT) for HLB. Food Agriculture and Health Summit. Visalia, CA.
2015 October, Metabolism and the developing neonate: Shaping the mind with milk. Summit on Nutrition and the Developing mind. The MIND institute, UC Davis.
2015 September, Metabolomics-based approaches to plant diagnostics. California Asian Citrus Psyllid and HLB Research and Extension summit. UC Davis.
2015 June, Measuring the impact of diet and environment on infant metabolism and the microbiome. Teratology Society Meeting. Montreal, PQ.
2015 June, Your gut microbiome, nutrition, and disease. Public Lecture at the Lake Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences. Incline Village, NV.
2015 May, Breast milk vs infant formula: consequences for the microbiome and metabolome. European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition. (ESPGHAN). Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
2015 March, Biomarkers of infant feeding: A metabolomics approach. IAEA meeting. Vienna, Austria.
2015 February, Metabolite HIV recency biomarker profile for incidence measurement. HIV Incidence Assay Symposium. Seattle, WA.
2014 December, The pathogenicity of C. Liberibacter asiaticus in citrus revealed through metabolomics. International Symposium for Agricultural Biotechnology (ISAB). Hanoi, Vietnam
2014 November, Shaping infant health through milk. International Conference on Analytical Science and Technology. Daejeon, Korea.
2014 October, Shaping infant health through milk. The 17th International Society for Research on Human Milk and Lactation. Kiwah Island, South Carolina.
2014 September, Getting Ahead of Cancer: Urine Tests that Provide Information on Metabolic State. Heredity Breast and Ovarian Cancer Society Conference. Edmonton, Canada.
2014 June, Effect of insects and pathogens on citrus metabolism. The Hemipteran- Plant Interactions Symposium. Riverside, CA.
2014 May, Measuring environmental influences in agriculture and health. The 7th International Food Safety Symposium: Food Safety, Sustainability, and Technology. Hong Kong, China.
2014 April, Determination of HIV recency using metabolomics. Novel Biomarkers and Future Directions for HIV Incidence Assay Development. Bethesda, Maryland.
2014 March, Assessment of host-microbial interactions to enhance our understanding of nutrition and health. Coffee Center Research Conference. UC Davis.
2014 March, March, Development of early detection tests for Candidatus Liberibacter infection of citrus. Invited presentation to Citrus Showcase. Visalia, CA.
2013 December, Determination of HIV recency using metabolomics. Incidence Assay Meeting. Pittsburgh, PA.
2013 May, Measuring changes in the gut microbiome with diet and its implications for disease. Invited presentation to Roll Global. Davis, CA.
2013 May, Determination of HIV recency using metabolomics. HIV incidence assay meeting. Seattle, WA.
2013 April. “Nutrient Composition of Food.” Roll Global, Invited Speaker. Paramount Citrus.
2013 March. “Effect of agricultural practices on nutrient composition of food.” SEED Central, Invited Speaker. UC Davis, CA.
2013 February. “Infant feeding strategy affects gut microbial composition, immunity, and metabolism.” West Coast Metabolomics Center, Invited Speaker. UC Davis, CA
2012 November. “Infant feeding strategy affects gut microbial composition, immunity, and metabolism.” American Chemical Society, Invited Speaker. Berkeley, CA
2012 June. “Phenotyping microbial metabolism using metabolomics”. Measuring the response to food: Phenotyping tools and targets conference. UC Davis, CA.
2012 June. “Effect of Agricultural Practices on Nutrient Composition of Food”. Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Meeting. Las Vegas.
2012 June. Metabolomics and the Microbiome. Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Meeting. Las Vegas.
2011 February. Metabolic Profiling of Citrus: How Orchard Conditions affect Nutrient Composition. Citrus Research Board Meeting. UC Berkeley, CA.
2011 August. Metabolic Profiling of Citrus: Tools for Optimizing Sensory Attributes. Placer County Mandarin Orange Meeting. Auburn, CA.
2011 September. Metabolomics as a Detector of Health in Cancer Patients. UC Davis Cancer Center 17th Annual Cancer Research Symposium. UC Davis Cancer Center.
2011 October. Nutrigenomics, Metabolomics, and the Gut Microbiome. Keynote Speaker. Wageningen University Symposium. UC Davis.
2010 June. Personalizing Health through Metabolomics, Foods for Health Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark.
2010 June. Profiling Bacterial-Host Interactions, Dairy Technology: California Leading the Way through Strong University-Industry Partnerships, UC Davis, Davis, CA.
2010 May. Applications of NMR to Metabolomics, Seminar at Jim Ames Group Meeting, UC Davis, CA.
2010 March. Applications of NMR to Metabolomics, Agilent Laboratories, Santa Clara, CA.
2010 March. Metabolic Profiling of Bacterial-Host Interactions, Kansas State University Functional Genomics Consortium, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS.
2010 January. Clinical Chemistry and Analytical Metabolomics, Seminar at WHNRC, UC Davis, CA.
2009 December. Food, Health, and Metabolomics, FST Graduate Group Seminar, UC Davis, CA.
2009 December. Bacterial-Host Interactions and Metabolomics, Seminar at Milk Group Meeting.
2009 October. Clinical Chemistry, Metabolomics, and Nutrition, Graduate Group in Nutritional Biology Seminar Series, UC Davis, CA.
2009 August. Opportunities in Food Science and Technology, Presentation to CIFAR Advisory Board.
2008 April. Development of Novel Metabolite Based Tests for Diagnosis of Pulmonary Disease, ARDS – Basic Advances in Airway Research. Banff, AB. Canada.
2008 March. New Methodologies for Rapid Diagnosis of Tuberculosis, 6th Conference on Tuberculosis –“It’s a small world”, Edmonton, AB, Canada.
2008 February. Early Cancer Detection using Metabolic Profiling, Division of Population Health and Information Invited Speakers Series. Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, AB, Canada.
2007 November. Metabolomics of Cancer, ACB Annual Research Meeting. Banff Centre, Banff, AB.
2007 August. Phenotyping Diseases Through Metabolite Profiles, Medical Grand Rounds. University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada.
2007 August. Can the Etiology of Pneumonia be Determined using Metabolomics, KBSI Metabolomics meeting. KBSI, Seoul, South Korea.
2007 June. Metabolomics as a Diagnostic Tool for Cancer, Liverpool University Institute of Cancer Studies. Liverpool, UK.
2007 June. Can the Etiology of Pneumonia be Determined using Metabolomics?, Metabolomics Society Meeting, Manchester, UK.
2006 April. Metabolite Patterns of Streptococcus pneumoniae Infections in Data Derived from 1H NMR Spectra of Urine, Varian Users’ meeting, Experimental NMR Conference, Palo Alto, CA.
2005 November. The Application of Metabolomics to Pulmonary Infections, Advances in Metabolic Profiling, London, UK.
2005 October. Analysis of Saliva using Metabolomics, Head and Neck Rounds. Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, AB, Canada.
2005 March. Metabolomic Analysis of Human Saliva, Grand Rounds. Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, AB, Canada.
2005 February. Metabolomic NMR Data Analysis in Health and Disease, Frontiers of NMR in Molecular Biology IX. Banff, AB, Canada.
2004 November. Metabolomics as a Tool in Cancer Research, Polyomx Meeting, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, AB, Canada.
2004 September. Effect of Spectral Quality on Metabolomic Data Analysis, Varian Users’ meeting, SMASH conference, Breckenridge, CO.
2004 April. Metabolic Profiling by NMR: Challenges and Rewards, Varian Users’ meeting, ENC (Experimental NMR Conference). Stanford University, CA.
2003 September. Eclipse: A Semi-Automated Approach for the Assignment and Quantification of NMR Metabonomic Data, Varian Users’ meeting, SMASH conference. Verona, Italy.
Honors and Awards
2016 Kinsella Endowed Chair in Food, Nutrition, and Health
2015 Chancellor’s Fellow
2015 Accelerated promotion (2-year) from Associate Professor Step IV to Professor Step II.
2014 Accelerated merit (1-year) from Associate Professor Step III to Associate Professor Step IV
2014 2013 Dean’s Team Award for Excellence in Outstanding Multidisciplinary Team Contributions in the Mission Area of Research
2012 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Global Health Grant Award
1997 Leukemia Research Fund Post-Doctoral Fellowship
1994 Mary Louise Imrie Graduate Student Award